8.05.2009

Rings and things.

A week ago I lost my wedding ring. I haven't the slightest idea where it might be or how I lost it.

Like most things you misplace, I have a strong recollection of having it on the day it went missing, but only a vague impression of the points leading up to when I discovered it was lost.
So basically, it could be in the yard, in a crack behind the dresser, or in the bottom of a box of Froot Loops for all I know. Maybe a hobbit found it and is taking it to Mordor as we speak (nerd alert).

I have to admit, I was pretty upset. Leeanne had the inside engraved and though it was a little bit large - my fingers are what you might call "dainty" - I wore it every single day since we've been married with few exceptions. For the few days after I lost it and had to go without it, I was really bothered not having it on my finger.

It made me think about what a wedding ring actually is and more importantly, what it stands for. Humans as a species tend to put so much emphasis on a symbol, be it an object, tradition, or act, that we completely lose sight of what that thing is symbolic of.
The wedding ring is a symbol of my marriage to Leeanne. Even without that outward symbol on my dainty digit, I'm still married to my wife. Heart and soul, I am hers and she is mine.
Just as our rings are a symbol for our love and devotion to one another, our marriage is a symbol of our relationship with Christ. Heart and soul.

A ring, a marriage, a saving relationship with Jesus. Out of those three, I'd much rather be without the one that has a tendency to slip off my finger when my hands are wet. I lost an object, a token, a reminder of more important things. Things that are so special, amazing, undeserved, and, thankfully, can never be lost.

On August 6, 2005 Leeanne and I got married in Brentwood, Tennessee. Today marks our four year anniversary. I love you, sweetheart, heart and soul.

4 comments:

Merritt said...

Aw shucks - now I'm wiping away a tear. Thanks, Jason, for a teary start to my day! (Kidding of course. That was way sweet.)

Anonymous said...

Jason and Leeanne,
What a special day that was and Jason, what a special person you are!!! Leeanne is so blessed to have you for a husband(and as her parents we know how blessed you are to have her), and we are so blessed to have you as our son-in-law. Here's to at least 20 more 4yr. anniversaries!
Love your Mom/Mil

Kay and Rob Stahler said...

Happy Anniversary Leeanne and Jason! We love you guys!

Bender Family said...

Yeah, go and make me tear up why don't ya. Love you guys.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers